Portfolio Cover Letter

Dear Portfolio Reader,

As a veteran I treated English 101 like an ugly enemy that needed to be overcome and conquered. It had been a fair amount of time since high school and the need to write essays. I was so out of practice that I doubted I could still write eloquently. After a full semester I’m more confident in my abilities as a writer than ever, and not so averse to writing anymore. My biggest challenge throughout the course was learning to use revision in my writing. By letting a piece of writing “cool off” for  few days I found I could spot mistakes and places for improvement far easier with fresh eyes. I’ve included three pieces for you to read: a memoir, text-wrestling, and an ethnography.

My memoir piece entitled “Brass and Skittles” is a brief snapshot of my time in Africa as a United States Marine. In it I discuss two separate events that both stuck out to me, years after its occurrence. This was my favorite piece to write because it required no research, all the content I needed was in my memory. I tried hard to include rich/specific detail in this piece to really transport you to Africa and see what I saw. I also tried to use a bit of humor to keep the writing entertaining.

The text-wrestling essay I’ve included was written as an appraisal of an article on World War I. This was probably my most challenging piece to write this semester. The difficulties stemmed from the sheer length of the article I given to read. The Article entitled “The Invention of the War Machine” examines technologies that were created as a result of WWI. This piece highlights my ability to analyze written work and respond to it in a meaningful way. Although a long article to read, I enjoyed the subject matter and even learned a few things I hadn’t known before. Look for the use of in-text citations and a work cited page in this essay.

My last piece included for the portfolio is my ethnography paper entitled “Uncle Sam Wants You!”. My chosen subculture to write about was the recruiters for the United States Marine Corps. This paper was one of my favorite this semester. I was able to combine 1st hand account observations with my own experiences from being recruited. This is another piece I tried to use specific detail to really lay out the scene of the recruiting station from the moment you walk in the door. I really enjoyed being able to write about something that most people don’t have an inside account of.

I hope that through reading these three essays you are able to see that I have met the standards of the English composition curriculum. I feel more confident in my ability to write in detail and to clearly portray my thoughts on paper. As a Political Science major the ability to write effectively will  be paramount in almost any career direction I choose. The structure and revision skills gained through this semester should serve me well not only in a future career path, but in the remainder of my college studies as well.

Thank You For Reading,

Robert Murray