Reading Journal 4

A Popular Military Website Is Attacked From the Right

The articles main point is to describe recent attempts to influence/disrupt the online website “Task & Purpose”. The article references a story that the chief editor had resigned due to the CEO interfering. CEO Iscol denied the allegations that he interfered with the newsroom. The issue has raised larger overall concerns about the influence from the outside. It was alleged that the CEO takes a large amount of criticism from conservative interests. Although the website purports themselves as unbiased military news, it focuses heavily on social issues in the military and leans heavily left.

I found the article interesting in a few ways. I wasn’t aware that Task & Purpose had 2.5 million readers a month. It honestly irritates me, because every time I have read anything from them I’m usually left feeling nauseated. I also found it interesting that Iscol the CEO, is a close family friends of the Clintons. Given the content that the website usually produces, this makes a lot of sense.

The style of the article is fairly neutral. Facts are portrayed with seemingly no bias. I particularly enjoyed this sentence:

“SOFREP, a more overtly conservative veterans’ site, published a podcast in June that Goldstein called a “hit piece” against many at Task & Purpose, including Iscol, McCoy, and others, accusing the website of having a liberal bias and calling its personnel “social-justice warriors.” Goldstein said she only listened because she was personally named.”

I enjoyed the sentence because I find it funny that anyone at Task & Purpose would pretend they are not a left leaning news source.